8.06.2005

Pet Peeves

You know, the whole espresso scene is my big pet peeve. Here's why:
1. Using the false term "expresso" instead of espresso.
2. Referring to the mysterious "espresso bean". It does not exist. Gah!
3. Thinking a macchiato is a huge, caramel infused latte.
4. Maintaining that a carcinogenic level of roast is a prerequisite for espresso.
5. Refusing espresso/americanos on the basis that it will keep them up for the next decade.
6. Overextracted shots. "But I need to catch every bit of the shot!" "Umm... no."
7. Dry foam.
8. Oversized drinks. 20 oz drinks are a crime. I mean, at my shop, our small is a 12 oz. That should be a large.
9. The addition of copious amounts of sugar or artificial sweetener to any drink.
10. People who think a specialty coffee house is similar to Tim Horton's. Yeah right.
11. Espresso to go. (And yes, I used to do this all the time... times change.)
12. I could go on and on... but I won't.

The root cause of this is miseducation or an entire lack of education in the coffee world. I am young, but I think this could be a niche for me in the future. The idea could be a multi-purpose shop with an espresso bar, coffee retail products and an education series of classes. Something like say, Calgary's The Cookbook Company (a retail store combining classes, books, specialty foods and a small deli) or MetroVino (the same building, offering classes, wine glasses and accessories as well as fine wines). I could become the vector of change! Or I could get my biology degree. I think I'll work on that first.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

we are phasing out 16oz
12oz tops
we do not offer espresso to go

add to the list:
people that order to-go and sit down, and leave their cup or toss it on the way out.
people that ask for the shot 'run twice, 'just hit the button twice' or want an americano run through, 'no water just let it run' (which with our applogies, we refuse to do).
requests for:
half decaf/regular shots
1/2 shots
dry capps
sprinkles
syrups
equal
soy
and people that take 11 napkins for each item they have on the table.

alistair

03:19  

Post a Comment

<< Home