5.29.2006

A concept

To make up for my rant, I will push a concept I came up with a few weeks ago.

Many of the "gourmet" shopping spots I have frequented have too many ties to one particular theme. It might be an Italian grocer/deli serving Illy, or maybe it is a place aimed at a wealthy clientele, bringing in foodstuffs with recognizable names at luxury prices.

My idea is to forget about the brands, the countries of origin, the reputations. I would like to have a market where the best of the best is displayed to my customers. I will have products from all over that have been selected by me, or someone I trust, regardless of whether it is Appelation Origine Controlee or not, produced by the same family for 10 generations or not, made with organics or not. Everything will be the best. My coffee will be the best, hopefully from one of the major third wave roasters, say Intelligentsia, Stumptown or Counter Culture. Maybe all three? The cheese will be incredible, as will the sausages and other meats. I will support local when I can, but I will not limit myself to that. But, why bring in artisanal honey from Tuscany when I can bring in similar products produced in the foothills of Alberta or the Okanagan? Hopefully no one wishes to argue on the basis that Western Canadian honeys are subpar on a world scale... I am simply using it as an example.

I would also love to serve and sell alcohol there too. Imagine the best of the Pacific Northwest's craft brewers being poured alongside Trappist ales. My vodka selection would be unparalleled...

At least I can dream...

6 Comments:

Blogger Jonathan Howse said...

I will devote my life to your cause... As long as I can hang some of my art on the walls.

And the thing is, I would trust no other person in selecting the best. I believe you've got someting Peter, you crazy, crazy man.

14:25  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you manage to get Ciroc, I'd stop by ;)

Mark

20:02  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whole Foods grocers...

14:25  
Blogger Peter said...

Except Calgary doesn't have one of those...

21:32  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

crazy, yet compelling, i hate the way you can't buy quality for reasonable prices, surely everyone should want quality as the norm and not have to pay out of the nose for it.

03:55  
Blogger Jonathan Howse said...

where you been Joe Miller?

20:10  

Post a Comment

<< Home