11.22.2005

Party! Die! *

I decided the other day that I have been destroying my coffee at home in my french press. I never really gave it any thought until I tried a coffee pressed at Wicked with some beans I picked up at Fantastico in Victoria, Terra Nova AA from Zambia. At Wicked, which was the first place I tried it, I was getting some intense citrus notes, mostly grapefruit. At home? Nada. Nothing. It tasted like everything else I've tried at home. So I figured out the problem. I was using water that was way too hot for the coffee (at Wicked, or the presses at Elysian, water is drawn from the Fetco tap). Plus, I was using plain old tap water. Solution? I bought a Brita filter and I've started to do my hand grinding after I boil the water. Already, I'm noticing a huge difference. The coffee I'm drinking has an astonishingly wider flavor spectrum and is finally tasting world class - as it should.

Last night, I saw Stars live, as mentioned in my last post. The show was incredible. Stars is a seven piece band, and they put on quite the performance in the sold out Commodore. They just finished a whirlwind tour opening for the brilliant Death Cab for Cutie across North America, and the Vancouver show was just Stars (with some rather mediocre opening local bands...). Torq Campbell, the male lead, explained, to the cheers of the audience, how it felt so much better to play a show for 1100 people who paid to see just them, not 15, like at the Death Cab shows. I spent most of the show just taking in the music, smiling and having a good time. I think I'm in love with the female lead, Amy Millan.

*(Title of this post is a reference to local dance punk band, You Say Party! We Say Die!)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Skip the Brita - go straight to bottled water. Volvic is nearly ideal for the mineral content. Another thing you'll be noticing is the fact that you're using a Ditting grinder which will give you much more uniform particle size than you'll get at home. Temp wise, boil your water in the kettle, then let it rest for a minute or 2 before pouring.

Methinks you'll have fun with the GS3 tomorrow night - it's pretty much the GB5 in miniature with tweaks. One of these in the home and you'll never go to a cafe again (except for the social experience...)!

20:43  

Post a Comment

<< Home