11.25.2005

My Bloody Valentine

Alright, so there hasn't been much coffee news for me recently, except I'm planning on attending an evaluation of the new La Marzocco GS3 consumer machine on Sunday. Should be quite the coffeegeek gathering. I'll be late, due to work, but I hope to get in some shots on this beautiful model. Jason (coffeeactivist), from Calgary, is driving out here for it. Now that's determination/obsession, but at least he was going to be making the trip anyways out to Portland. Hopefully I'll snag a digital camera to get some photos in of the whole thing, plus some latte art photos from my weekend shifts.

Anyways, the brunt of this post was supposed to be about my rediscovery of My Bloody Valentine. See, I had heard all this stuff about this band from the late 80s/early 90s, and was told I would enjoy them by a few people who knew of my M83 addiction. I was slightly sceptical due to their age, and when I acquired their landmark "shoegazing" album Loveless, I was let down. It seemed one-dimensional, with some guy who decided to let his filters run wild on his guitar (or something like that... my guitar tech knowledge = zero). Well, that was back in September. I started listening to Loveless again as of last night, and I can't stop listening to it (well, I paused this morning to listen to the Go! Team). It's absolutely mindblowing. I think the parallels to M83 are exaggerated however. Listen to this album (even if it takes you awhile to get into it, like me). It's not considered a classic for nothing.

Now back to listening to Loveless.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home