2.10.2006

Gearing up for the upcoming week

It's another beautiful day. This weather makes you want to forget all about the ridiculous amounts of rain we received here the past two months. I am really wanting to take the bike out for a spin, but alas, I promised a girl at work I would come in early for her. This prevents me from riding. Oh well. Maybe on Saturday it will be as nice... the forecast is calling for it.

I am über excited about my upcoming jaunt to the US. The last time I was in the States was last Christmas in a quick stopover in Houston. This time, I'll be able to explore the places I'm going with no family restrictions ("No Peter, you cannot stop for a quick coffee... we have to catch a flight") or conference schedules to abide by ("Ashwin, this meeting sucks, I'm going to the (Greenwich) Village for a coffee"). I'm pumped about meeting Eton and seeing his brand new Mirage and trying out his stuff. Maybe I'll even be able to pour a shot or two... Plus, seeing Jon is going to be awesome. I can't even describe how cool this is going to be. I wish it was for longer.

Our Swift got new burrs! This means our level of espresso should be consistently higher for all drinks and for all baristi. I pulled a few naked shots yesterday while taking a break from reading about thermodynamics and the difference is substantial. Yay! (And yes, I have put in my order for that shirt. It should be here by March.)

My art is taking on a much more consistent style. I've really been practicing in little 10 oz cups with a 12 oz pitcher, and I must say I am proud of my results. I think I am going to abandon multi-art pours for now, as I don't yet have the skill and precision required for a well-defined multi-art pour. My style is verging on a much more Artigiano-esque full cup rosetta with thin hollow leaves. That's cool. That style of pour is impressive, and usually gets the customer's attention, drawing them in to the overall quality of their drink.

Speaking of which, I had a great experience on one of my recent shifts. We had an older man come in who said he was treating himself since it was his 75th birthday. He went for a piece of carrot cake and a latte. We wished him happy birthday, and I proceeded to pour one of my better lattes of the day. Leslie brought the cake and drink over to him and again said happy birthday. The man then said, "Well, there are some things in life worth living for, and this is one of them."

Now that is a feel good moment. That's what it's all about.

On that note, I think I'm going to enjoy the day.

1 Comments:

Blogger Shaun said...

Cool Peter, nice one on the birthday pour!

11:52  

Post a Comment

<< Home