10.26.2006

Recent cups

I'm such a slacker. I haven't posted in 12 days...

A number of pretty awesome coffees have passed through my hands in the past couple of weeks.

The most notable of all of them was the Novo Coffee Hache Ethiopia Sidamo from down in Denver, Colorado. There has been enough hype about this coffee on the net, viewable on several blogs and forums. It's a brilliant coffee, but for myself, did not live up to the praise it had received. Namedropping had occurred frequently with the Esmeralda Special being the coffee that the Hache apparently topped. Not in my mind, but the Hache has the distinction of being one of the first coffees I have had that tasted as it smelled after grinding. Lots of figs, chocolate and body in the Hache, contrary to initial reports of blueberry jam.

It should be known too that I have been on an Ethiopian binge as of late, with my home supply consisting of both of Intelligentsia's Yergacheffe and Harrar. The Yerg (roasted in Chicago on Monday) pressed this morning had a really tea-like subtlety reminiscent of a darjeeling... I was thoroughly impressed. I've found with coffee that exhibits these tea-like characteristics, the body gets dropped, but this one kept a strong body and a wonderful velvety mouthfeel.

The Harrar tends to be a bit fruitier and wilder but is an exciting cup nonetheless.

At Elysian last night, a pound of Stumptown's Hairbender made a guest appearance and drinks were passed around to a group of staff and others (like myself). First were the espresso rounds... The shots were beautiful in appearance, very rich, thick and flecked crema in the heavy ACF cups. I can't quite say I was a huge fan, but the lingering grapefruit finish was most impressive.

In milk (5 oz cap), the drinks were phenomenal. There was not a touch of bitterness anywhere. Very rich, very well balanced were the main characteristic to the cup. It helped that Matti was on fire with his pours.

Other than that, not much to report here in Vancouver.

3 Comments:

Blogger Shaun said...

Peter, when you run a bit low on Ethiopian let me know and I will roast up a batch of Lekempti and DP Sidamo that I know will interest you. I can mail it out whenever - my treat.

Shaun

13:47  
Blogger Phil Proteau said...

I just recieved some dry process Yirg last week and I can not stop making cup after cup of it, and I have been very reluctant to share with my colleagues. It is like potato chips, can't have just one.

06:44  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

where in Denver did you have that coffee? or did it come *from* denver?

alicia

18:34  

Post a Comment

<< Home