12.08.2005

Carmen

Well, I've gotten over my separation from the GS3... we were never meant to be, but I think we're still friends.

I spent some time pondering differential equations and other facets of my first year calculus course at the Elysian Room today. It was really busy in there, which took me by surprise at first, because on my way over to Elysian, on the 17 bus route, I was pondering how a place like Higher Ground (on Vine and Broadway?) can be packed as I went past, whereas Elysian is often not at capacity. Maybe it has something to do with this, I thought, but maybe not. Maybe the location is too out of the way, but I don't think it is, really. But I walked in, and the place was one table away from capacity, and then it was at capacity as I sipped on my excellent cappuccino.

Customer demographics and dynamics fascinate me. Like, why in Calgary would people ask for soup on a 30°C day, when during a period of rain for a week and temperatures barely in the double digits, we would not get a single order? It really was puzzling. Vancouver seems to be a bit more predictable with that, but then the other day, I had 5 (!) orders for smoothies when it was a few degrees above zero. I hadn't had a smoothie order in several shifts. It's puzzling.

Anyways, back to the coffee.

I acquired a half pound of the 2005 Auction Lot Panama Carmen Estate. Yes, the famous lot that sold for $8.60 a pound at auction. I decided it was too good to let it run away from me again, so I picked up the last of it. I'm sipping on a press right now. So good. And unfortunately, due to my lack of cupping confidence and undeveloped palate, I am not going to publish my "notes"... you'll have to get some yourself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home